Light Emitting Diode
BACKGROUND:Â What makes LEDs different from any other light source?Â LEDsÂ are semiconductor devices while incandescent, fluorescent and HID lamps are all based on glass enclosures containing a filament or electrodes with fill gases and coatings of various types.
LED lighting starts with a tiny chip comprising layers of semi-conducting material.Â It produces light when an electrical current flows into it.Â LEDs are mounted on a flat surface emitting light hemispherically, rather than spherically.
LED CHIP: A small semi conductor constructed onto a layer of heat – conducting material that is generally covered with a lens.
HEAT SINK: Thermally conductive aluminum material which provides the extremely important task of heat dissipation.
DRIVER:Â Maintains the voltage/current into the LED, similar to the way a ballast operates a fluorescent lamp.
At ASL all of these components areÂ paired to insure optimal performance.Â ASL high efficiency LED fixtures are designed and manufactured with precise thermal management to insure performance and long life.
FEATURES & BENEFITS
- DIRECTIONAL LIGHT EMISSION:Â Directs light where it is needed
- BREAKAGE RESISTANCE: LEDs areÂ impervious to vibration because they do not have filaments or glass enclosures. Product breakage is a way of life in electric lamp transport, storage, handling and installation. No longer a factor with this technology
- COLD TEMPERATURE OPERATION: Cold temperatures present a challenge.Â LED performance inherently increases as operating temperatures drop.Â Cold is no longer a factor
- INSTANT ON: Fixtures require no “warm up” time.
- RAPID CYCLING CAPABILITY: Life and lumen maintenance are unaffected by rapid cycling.
- CONTROLLABILITY: Traditional, efficient light sources (fluorescent and HID) present a number of challenges with regard to lighting controls. LEDs areÂ compatible with electronic controls to change light levels and color characteristics.
- SUSTAINABLE:Â Reduces energy use up to 80% when compared to most standard light sources.
- LAMP LIFE:Â Average LEDs last up to 50,000 hours.
- MERCURY & LEAD FREE: No hazardous substances in LED technology. No recycling or disposable issues.
- MAXIMUM COLOR CONSISTENCY: Correlated Color Temperature (CCT) is tightly controlled through binning process, which allows for maintained color and light out-put throughout lamp life.
- LESS HEAT: Reduces cooling costs resulting in increased energy savings.
- SAFE LIGHTING:Â LEDs do not emit ultra violet or infra-red light so it is harmless to objects being illuminated.
ASL GREEN LED FIXTURES
– THE Â LIGHT OF THE FUTURE